Hurricane Maria devastated the US Virgin Islands and the Caribbean Basin. On the island of St. Croix, the storm ravaged homes, schools, and communities. In the aftermath of the catastrophic hurricane, the people of St. Croix will rebuild, and re-opening schools is a priority. The St. Croix Montessori School serves students (ages 2 1/2- 12), and by being among the first to re-open, the Montessori School will serve as a beacon of light, pride, and hope for the island.
What is the problem?
Hurricane Maria ravaged the Caribbean, and we know that considerable resources will be required to rebuild our community in the US Virgin Islands. Our hospitals, schools, and homes were damaged, and this causes a firm halt in how our community can resume any normal way of life. First, Hurricane Irma made landfall, and the only hospitals and schools in the Virgin Islands were on St. Croix. Within days, Hurricane Maria battered St. Croix, and brought life to a halt.
How will your support help solve the problem?
This effort will collect resources to enable the re-opening of a non-profit school (St. Croix Montessori), which will enable students and their families to resume some level of normalcy as the community of St. Croix aims to heal after Hurricane Maria. The St. Croix Montessori School is a partner of the St. Croix Foundation for Community Development, and we know that partnerships across all levels will be required for the community of St. Croix to be fully restored. Enabling schools to reopen is a critical cornerstone in securing an economic future for the Territory’s citizens.
Potential Long-Term Impact
We know that students from neighboring St. Thomas and St. John will need to relocate to St. Croix, and schools on St. Croix need to be prepared for the increase in students by preparing its building, campus, and readying its teachers. There is an acute need for safe, healthy infrastructure and centers for families to receive quality education and resources. Your support helps restore balance to an impoverished community that has been devastated by two Category 5 hurricanes.
- Supports replacement of damaged school supplies
- Restores roof and other campus structures
- Provides counseling for children and families who experienced trauma for 10+ hours
- Enables us to secure generator power for next 6 months
- Supports scholarships for children whose families jobs are lost
- Can be accepted via PayPal or checks written to St. Croix Montessori
- Chainsaws (2)
- Chainsaw Safety gear
- Children’s Snacks (healthy, non-perishable)
- Children’s Coloring Books w Colored Pencils
- Children’s Books
- Playground balls – bouncing balls, soccer balls, etc.
- Hula Hoops and Jump Ropes
- Gas Cans
- First Aid Supplies
- Mosquito Spray
- Mosquito Traps / Zappers
- Personal Care Products
- Flashlights and Lanterns (with batteries)
- Paper Plates
- Disposable/Compostable utensils
- Duct Tape
- Extension Cords and Power Adapters
- Battery-operated fans
- Stand Fans
- Whiteboards (3)
- Cleaning Supplies – Gloves, Sponges, Scrubbers
- Throw Rugs
- Garbage Bins
- UPC Battery Backup for Computers (3)
- Children’s clothes
- Children’s shoes