WHy choose montessori education for your child?
Dr. Maria Montessori (1870 – 1952)
We invite you to learn more about Dr. Maria Montessori, and how her discoveries and philosophy have created an educational environment where children develop a deep love and respect for learning.
Dr. Maria Montessori, an engineer, physician, social anthropologist and educator, revolutionized childhood education more than one hundred years ago, with her belief that education should be one of active exploration through the observance of the child’s developmental needs and stages. Her observations convinced her that each child contains within her the person s/he will become. Within a carefully prepared environment and under the guidance of an expertly trained adult the child can be guided to work in a way previously believed to be beyond her capacity. Children are attracted to beautiful materials designed to isolate difficulties and stimulate interest. Each child’s potential is reached through a process of striving, aided by a growing sense of order and self-discipline. This way of working with children now flourishes in Montessori schools throughout the world and in more than 3,000 schools in the United States alone.
Montessori Educational Associations
The Association Montessori Internationale was founded in 1929 by Dr. Maria Montessori to maintain the integrity of her life’s work, and to ensure that it would be perpetuated after her death.
The American Montessori Society (AMS) is the foremost advocate for quality Montessori education, an innovative, child-centered approach to learning. AMS sets the high professional standards that inform Montessori education as practiced in AMS-accredited schools and taught in AMS-affiliated teacher education programs.
The Montessori Foundation and its membership organization, The International Montessori Council, nurture, inspire, and support the development of strong, successful Montessori schools around the world.
The North American Montessori Teachers’ Association (NAMTA) links Montessorians with their legacy and their future. Its services include print publications, audio-visual materials, conferences, and research.
The International Montessori Society (IMS) was founded to support the effective application of this true natural Montessori teaching throughout the world. IMS is organized as a non-profit corporation directed by Lee Havis, with main offices in Silver Spring, Maryland.
The Maria Montessori Institute (MMI) has evolved directly from courses given in London by Dr. Maria Montessori between 1919 and 1951. Our training course is authorized by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI), which was set up by Dr. Montessori herself to safeguard the integrity of her work.
BOOKS ABOUT MONTESSORI EDUCATION
- Montessori Madness! A Parent to Parent Argument for Montessori Education (T. Eissler)
- Montessori: The Science Behind the Genius (A. Lillard)
- Montessori Today (P. Lillard)
- Montessori: A Modern Approach (P. Lillard)
- Montessori in the Classroom (P. Lillard)
- Montessori from the Start (P. Lillard)
- Nurturing the Spirit (A. Wolf)
- Children Who are not yet Peaceful (D. Goertz)
- The Normalized Child (K. Futrell)
- What is Montessori Pre-school? (D. Kahn)
- What is Montessori Elementary? (D Kahn)
- At Home with Montessori (P. Oriti)
- How to Raise an Amazing Child The Montessori Way, (T. Seldin)
- Maria Montessori: Her Life and Work (E.M. Standing)
- Maria Montessori Farmschool (Erdkinder)
BOOKS WRITTEN BY MARIA MONTESSORI
- The Absorbent Mind
- The Discovery of Childhood
- The Secret of Childhood
- From Childhood to Adolescence
- Education for Human Development
- Education for a New World
- Education and Peace
- What you should know about your Child
- To Educate the Human Potential
- Child in the Family
- BBC Sounds Great Lives: Philippa Perry on the Italian Educator Maria Montessori